Una ricetta deliziosa! VEGAN ITALIAN RAGU
Transport yourself to Italy and taste the mediterranean cuisine with this easy Vegan veggie Ragu. My “amica del cuore”, Elisa, shared this amazing dish full of colours and textures with us. I can’t thank her enough. Grazie mille!
Tip: If one feels like it, the dish can be combined with ingredients high in Vitamin C in order to better absorb the iron of the lentils.
- 1/2 onion
- 1 small carrot
- 1 celery
- 1 courgette
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste (mine is homemade)
- Cooked lentils
- Olive oil
- wholemeal pasta (optional)
-How to cook it-
- Chop the veggies in little cubes. You can use the skins, leaves, and spare parts of the vegetables to make broth. Onion and garlic skins are really flavoursome, they will give amazing tastiness to your broth.
- Once the veggies are chopped, heat some olive oil in a pan and put the veggies in. Add salt to taste and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons of tomato paste (easy to make at home) and mix it all up. If using a can of chopped tomatoes, add half of a can, some salt and a spoon of sugar to remove the acidity of the chopped tomatoes.
- Now, it’s time to add broth, just enough to cover the veggies.
- Let simmer on low heat until dryish.
- Add the cooked lentils, or any other bean that you like, and mix. *
It goes really well with wholemeal pasta -*add the cooked pasta and stir for one more minute-. If you enjoyed this vegan veggie ragu, also check out our other recipes like this vegan Japanese potato salad.